Sweet Potato & Black Bean Tacos & Crunchy Cabbage
Ever have one of those friends that is just up on all the hip things, knows and uses super exotic foods, and makes the best food without trying. Yep, well I have one of those friends and her name is Jessica Pratt. Her and her husband are culinary adventurers.
Here is HER most amazingly yummy Sweet Potato Taco recipe and I easily augmented mine to be dairy-free! So easy and a must try! No Need for Meat!
Thanks Jessica for sharing.
Makes about 9 tacos – try to use all organic/natural ingredients!
Time: 1 hr 10 min
· Black Beans: 1 can (8oz) (I used the Trader Joe’s Black Beans that have Jalapeño in it).
· 1 Sweet Potato: Size of 2 fists. Jessica used Japanese purple sweet potato that I got at my local farmers market, but you can use any kind… or even potatoes! (I used 2 smaller sized Organic Sweet Potatoes).
· 12 small corn tortillas, make sure to have extra in case any crack
· 1 Packet of Taco Meat Seasoning (I used the Trader Joe’s mix, which is super hot, so only used 1 tbsp of it).
· Fage Non-Fat Greek Yogurt (REMOVE if you want DAIRY-FREE)
· 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese (REMOVE if you want DAIRY-FREE)
· 1 Avocado
· ¼ a brown Onion, chopped
· 1 Jalapeno (or jarred jalapenos)
· Olive Oil
· ½ Small/Medium Red Cabbage (I used Trader Joe’s shredded green cabbage)
· ¼ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
· 1 diced tomato
· 1 Bunch Cilantro
· 2 Limes
1. Slice cabbage into very thin strips, place in bowl.
2. Pour in red wine vinegar, 1 table spoon olive oil, lots of S&P
3. Add tomato & the juice from ½ a lime.
4. Add chopped cilantro (set aside a small handful for the tacos) – Set mixture aside, stirring occasionally. (I placed in the frig while I was making the tacos so it was nice and refreshing.)
1. Preheat oven, bake @ 365
2. Remove the skin of the sweet potato with a vegetable peeler then cube sweet potato into dice sized squares.
3. Place sweet potato and onions onto a baking sheet (I always use a silicone baking mat on my baking sheet to prevent sticking without tons of oil. You can also use parchment paper)
4. Sprinkle about 2-3 tablespoons of taco seasoning and 1 tablespoon olive oil onto sweet potato/onion mixture. Mix in pan until everything is coated and evenly spread out.
5. Cover with foil and put in oven for ~45 min. **Half way through remove the foil!
1. Finely dice ½ or 1 jalapeno.
2. Heat 1 can of black beans in a pan on stove top, toss in jalapeno for heat - keep warm.
1. Wet tortillas with water, then drape them over 2 bars on your oven rack (with oven hot) and the ends pointing down. The sides will relax to create a shell shape (you can push them down as they cook to help.
2. Cook for about 10 minutes or until firm enough for them to hold their shape, yet a bit soft.
Put It Together!
1. In a taco shell pile on the following: Fage Greek yogurt (in place of sour cream), small handful of sweet potato, a scoop of beans, a bit of cheese, sliced avocado, some of your cabbage salad and top with cilantro and lime.
2. Add hot sauce if desired.
3. Complement tacos with a scoop of cabbage salad on the side. ENJOY!